Frequently Asked Question

The following information will provide you with answers to some frequently asked questions regarding the Auxiliary Medical Service (AMS).

  1. Enrolment
  2. Provision of First Aid and Ambulance Service
  3. Arrangement for a Visit to the AMS
  4. First Aid Training and Certificates
  5. Questions Frequently Asked by New Recruits
  6. First Aid Courses
  7. Addresses and Telephone Numbers of the Headquarters and Training Accommodations of the AMS
  8. Purchase the Publications of the AMS

1. Enrolment

Where can I get an application form?

Application forms can be obtained from various District Offices or the AMS Headquarters (G/F, 81 Princess Margaret Road, Homantin, Kowloon), or be downloaded from this website (

What qualification should I possess to enroll in the AMS?

People who are interested in voluntary medical work and fulfill the following requirements may apply to enroll in the AMS:

  1. Physique: good physique; pass the Trade Test and the medical examination;

  2. Education level: F.3 or above; can read and write Chinese*;

  3. Age: between 16 and 60. For an applicant who is under 18 years of age, his parent or guardian’s written consent on the application form should be obtained;

  4. The holder of an identity card issued under the Registration of Persons Ordinance (Cap. 177)

*Note: In case the academic proof submitted the applicant shows that he or she does not meet the language proficiency requirement, namely a pass or above in Chinese Language or equivalent in the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination (HKDSE) or the Hong Kong Certificate of Education Examination (HKCEE) held by the Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority (HKEAA), the applicant shall take a Chinese written test. However, an applicant who holds any of the following qualifications will not be required to sit the Chinese written test:

  1. a) Certificate of the Diploma Yi Jin Programme;

  2. b) Certificate of the HKDSE or the HKCEE issued by the HKEAA with a pass or above in Chinese language;

  3. c) Graduation certificate of a local nursing course;

  4. d) Graduation certificate issued by the HKEAA on a matriculation course with a pass or above in Chinese language; or

  5. e) Graduation certificate of a programme run by a local university or tertiary institution in Hong Kong including a degree, associate degree, diploma or certificate (with a pass or above in Chinese language or reasonable evidence e.g. studies in the Chinese Faculty).

What are the enrolment procedures?

Any person who is interested to enroll in the AMS should mail a completed application form to the following address: AMS Headquarters, 81, Princess Margaret Road, Homantin, Kowloon. Upon receiving the application form, we will contact the applicant in writing and arrange the following for him:
  1. (1) Trade Test
  2. (2) Interview;
  3. (3) Medical Examination (to be conducted during office hours).

What is the purpose of the Trade Test and what items does it have?

The purpose of the Trade Test is to assess whether applicants can carry out their duties if they become members of the AMS. The test contains the following items:

Item No. Test Items Score Standard
1. To place medical equipment Height: 6.6 ft (both feet should touch the ground at the same time)
2. Sit-and-reach test Both hands should reach the box 3 times and stretch beyond 15cm once
3. 1 minute’s sit-up At least 12 times in a minute
4. 1 minute’s press-up Male: at least 9 times in a minute
Female: at least 9 times in a minute, with both knees kneeling down on the ground
5. To carry a stretcher for a distance of 60 metres Two persons form a group carrying a dummy on stretcher and walking steadily for 60m in 2 minutes
6. 2.4-Km Run/Walk It should be completed within 19 minutes; bonus marks will be given if it is completed earlier (1 mark for every 1 minute earlier)

Note: To fulfill the requirements of the test, all the above items must be completed. Other than the Run/Walk, no bonus marks will be given to other items.

What should I bring along when I attend the above Trade Test?

Runner shoes, bottled water, sportswear and towels.

What will be tested in the medical examination?

The medical examination is carried out by Government commissioned private clinics or medical institutions. The examination includes blood pressure taking, eyesight test, chest X-ray and urine testing etc.

What training will the AMS provide for new recruits?

All new recruits, except medical professionals such as doctors and nurses, will receive approximately a 100-hour recruit training which cover the organization of the AMS, first aid, discipline, squad drill and casualty handling etc. Upon the completion of the training, they should take a test. Only those who can pass the test will be awarded a certificate and deployed to serve in different training accommodations.

After the recruit training, they should attend regular team training (held on two Sunday mornings and one weekday evening every month) to learn more medical/first-aid knowledge and skills e.g. the evacuation of casualties and disaster management, etc. In addition, Basic Home Nursing Training will be arranged for them to meet the needs of the Service. Those who pass the test will be arranged to practise in the wards of selected hospitals for bedside experience.

Apart from the above, they will also receive the following training: Disaster Medical Assistant, home nursing, driving, the application of radio communication equipment, leadership, management, life saving, management of methadone clinics e, etc.

In general, training courses are held during weekday evenings, weekends and public holidays. Training centres and venues are located in various districts that can easily be accessed by members.


Our members will be mobilized to assist at the scene in the event of major emergencies such as floods, landslides, collapses of buildings and contagious diseases etc. They also provide Non-emergency services which include first-aid coverage in country parks, major public functions and activities, paramedical support for hospitals and dressing stations of the Fire Services Department, management of methadone clinics and non-emergency ambulance services.

Can medical practitioners or nurses serve as officers of the AMS?

Medical practitioners will be appointed directly as Senior Grade V Officers while nurses will be appointed to serve as Grade IV Officers. To be eligible for the appointment, the person who shall be either a registered medical practitioner or a registered/enrolled nurse must pass both physical and integrity checks.

What medical benefits are the AMS members are entitled to?

An AMS member who, while on training or on duty, sustains an injury or contracts an illness which is attributable to the discharge of duty, shall be provided with free medical treatment in government clinics or hospitals. If the member suffers from permanent harm or dies as a result of the discharge of duty, an impairment allowance or widow’s pension will be given according to the established ordinances.

What kind of pay and allowances can I get?

(A) When a member is called out on active service in an emergency or for training, or voluntarily reporting for and carrying out duty pursuant to a request from the Commissioner , payments will be made according to his grade as follows:

 i. in respect of active service for less than 8 hours, at the appropriate hourly rate of pay;

ii. in respect of active service for 8 hours or more, at the appropriate daily rate of pay.

(B) Ration Allowance: In respect of duty for 8 hours or more, during which free meal or ration is not provided, every member who attends for duty shall, in addition to his pay, be eligible to receive a daily ration allowance.

What are the serving conditions?

A member who, without reasonable excuse, resigns from the AMS or who is discharged or whose enrolment is cancelled, within 1 year of the completion of his recruit training shall, upon request by the Commissioner, pay the AMS the reasonable costs of his recruit training in the AMS.

How do I change the date of medical examination?

You can contact the clinic directly if the proposed new date falls within two weeks of the original appointment. However, if you make a new appointment for reasons of illnesses, pregnancy or travelling abroad, you should contact the AMS Headquarters.

How do I notify the AMS of the change of my correspondence address?

You can notify our Membership Sections:
  1. by mail (the AMS Headquarters, 81, Princess Margaret Road, Homantin, Kowloon)
  2. by e-mail (
  3. by fax (fax no. (2715 0245))

Do I need to pay any fees to become a member of the AMS?

No, the enrolment is completely free of charge.

Can I be exempted from receiving the recruit training if I already have knowledge of first aid or squad drill?

Apart from fostering their esprit de corps, the recruit training also provides members with knowledge of the regulations and instructions of the AMS and disaster medicine. Therefore, except medical professionals such as doctors and nurses, all recruits have to receive the recruit training.

Is it possible for me just to learn first aid skills without joining the AMS?

We mainly provide first aid courses for Government employees to meet their operational needs. If there are remaining vacancies, we welcome the public to enrol in the courses for a fee. All the courses are held during office hours. The particulars of the courses are as follows:

(1) Basic First Aid Course (This course meets the requirement of the Hong Kong legislation.) This is a 4.5-day course normally held from Tuesday to Friday with class hours from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

An examination will normally be held on the subsequent Monday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

(2) First Aid Refresher Course (suitable for people who have already obtained a first aid certificate) This is a 2-day course normally held from Monday to Friday with class hours from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

An examination will be held in the afternoon of the second day at 2 p.m.

(3) CPR
This is 0.5-day course normally with class hours from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

For enquiries, please call 2762 2020.

What shall I bring along when I attend the interview?

Your Hong Kong Identity Card, 2 photos, documentary proofs of academic qualifications and necessary items for the Trade Test.

2. Provision of First-aid and ambulance services

How do I apply for the provision of first-aid service?

Upon request, we will provide government departments and non-profit making organizations with free first-aid service. The organization concerned should clearly put down the nature of the activity and the date, time, place and estimated number of participants on the application form which can be downloaded from this website. The application should be made fourteen working days in advance of the activity. To reply to an application, our target time is ten days. However, cases without sufficient notice may also be considered under special circumstances, e.g. the activity is expected to attract a large number of people.

How do I apply for the provision of non- emergency ambulance transfer service?

The main duty of the Ambulances Service Section is to provide a FREE non-emergency ambulance transfer service for the public. The service is available daily (including Sunday and public holidays) from 0800 to 1800 hours. It covers Hong Kong Island, Kowloon, New Territories and Lantau Island. The administrative office of the non-emergency ambulance transfer service is at 12/F Eastern Law Courts Building, 29 Tai On Street, Sai Wan Ho, Hong Kong. The phone numbers of the Control Room are 2567 0705 and 2567 3083 and the fax number is 2886 5397. Our main target clients are those who are referred by clinics of the Department of Health and private hospitals. Applicants should complete the application form (AMS 52) and have it endorsed by the authorized medical officers of such medical institutions. All applications should reach the non-emergency ambulance transfer service office at least one full working day in advance preferably by fax (2886 5397) and then be confirmed by phone. Please call 2567 0705 for further details.

Will the NEATS ambulances carry patients to the Lowu border, the Hong Kong International Airport, the Hong Kong and Macau Ferry Terminal, or the China(HK) Ferry Terminal?

If the transport service is initiated by the Fire Services Department, we can provide transfer service for the patient. However, the patient should be certified by the Department of Health/Hospital Authority or the private hospital concerned that he needs such transfer service. The application procedures are the same as those for the application for the NEATS.

3. Arrangement for a Visit to the AMS

How do I apply for an arrangement of a visit to the AMS Headquarters?

Schools and organizations are welcome to visit the AMS Headquarters and learn about the services the AMS provide to the public. To apply for an arrangement of a visit, you should fill in an application form, which can be downloaded from this website ( and send it to us for follow-up action.

4. First-Aid Training and Certificates

Do the certificates awarded by the AMS fulfill the requirements of the legislation of Hong Kong?

The certificates awarded by the AMS fulfill the requirements of the legislation of Hong Kong, and they are recognized by the Hong Kong SAR Government.

Can I get a replacement of first aid certificate if I have lost the original?

Under normal circumstances, a replacement of first aid certificate will not be issued. Instead, a letter of certification will be issued to the person concerned if his original first aid certificate is still within the period of validity (i.e. within the 3 years after the date of issue of the first aid certificate).

How do I extend the validity of my first aid certificate when it is due to expire?

Six months before or after the expiry date of the first aid certificate, you may enroll in a first aid refresher course. If you pass the examination your first aid certificates will be extended for three years.

How do I make an inquiry about first aid matters?

You can send your question(s) to us by mail to the AMS Headquarters (81, Princess Margaret Road, Homantin, Kowloon), or by e-mail ( , or by fax (2715 0245).

Where can I buy the First-Aid Handbook?

You can buy the First-Aid Handbook at the AMS Headquarters (3/F, 81, Princess Margaret Road, Homantin, Kowloon.)

Are there any first-aid kits for sale?


What public transportation can I take to get to the AMS Headquarters?

The AMS Headquarters is located at 81, Princess Margaret Road, Homantin, Kowloon. Its neighbourhood are famous education institutions and government offices such as the Open University of HK, the Pui Ching Middle School, and the Housing Authority. You can take buses which pass Oi Man Estate or cross-harbour buses no. 182, 170, 103 or 113.

5. Questions Frequently Asked By New Recruits

How do I notify the AMS Headquarters of the change of my correspondence address?

You can notify our Membership Section of the AMS Headquarters:
  1. by post: 81, Princess Margaret Road, Homantin, Kowloon.
  2. by e-mail:
  3. by fax: 2715 0245.

How do I apply for a new, replacement or renewed membership card?

If you need to apply for a new, replacement or renewed membership card, you must do it in Room 309 of the AMS Headquarters with your upper body uniform during office hours (9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. from Monday to Friday, except public holidays). If you’re applying for a renewed membership card, you must bring along your original one as well. If you’re applying for a replacement card because your existing one has been lost/stolen/damaged or you have changed your name, you must pay an administrative fee of HK$125.

Can I exchange my uniform if it is found unfit or it has defects?

Members should try on their uniforms before taking them. If an unused uniform is found unfit or has defects, an exchange is possible within a reasonable time. However, if it is used and the member does not have sufficient explanation for its unfitness or defects, he should buy a new one at his own cost.

Owing to sickness, a member was absent from duty and he has already submitted the medical certificate to his employer. What can he do then?

The member should submit a photocopy of the medical certificate to his immediate supervisor to explain why he was absent from duty.

Can the AMS logo be used during non-AMS activities?

No. Prior permission should first be obtained from the AMS Headquarters.

How do new recruits apply for transfer of district if they are dissatisfied with the present postings?

In principle, the postings of new members are based on their places of reside in, as well as the quota of a particular district and the distribution of members in different districts. If they want to be posted to another district, they can submit written requests to their senior officers.

Can members defer attending the Disaster Medicine Assistant Training Course till the next term?

No. Members are not allowed to defer attending this course.  But they can apply to attend another class, and permission is subject to the availability of places.  Their written applications should be submitted to their immediate supervisors before the course starts.

Do new recruits need to sit for the annual examination?

For new recruits who complete their recruit training during the period from April to October, they are exempted from the annual examination of the same year.

Who should I turn to if I want to inquire about pay and allowances matters?

You should first ask your immediate supervisor, who can turn to the Accounting Section of AMS Headquarters (Tel: 2762 2036) for assistance if he also has doubts.

What should I do if I lose the AMS uniform?

You should report the case to your superior and apply to buy a new uniform at your own cost.

How long should a new recruit serve in the AMS before he can quit?

A new recruit should serve in the AMS for at least one year after completing the recruit training. If he cannot offer a reasonable explanation for quitting, or is demoted or dismissed within a year, he should reimburse the AMS a reasonable sum of money for the training received in the AMS upon the request of the Commissioner.

Can I change classes halfway or defer attending the training course for reasons of work?

Yes, you can. However, if you apply for change classes, the vacancy thus created may be wasted. Therefore, we do not encourage frequent changing of classes. And you can defer attending the training course only once.

What should I do if I fail the recruit examination?

Unless otherwise specified by the AMS Headquarters, you will be given a chance to re-take the examination once if you fail in your first attempt. If you fail again, your membership will be terminated.

What will happen if new recruits are late for class?

New recruits should always be punctual. If they are late for 15 minutes, they are not allowed to enter the classroom until the next session starts (about one hour later). This arrangement can avoid unnecessary disturbance to the whole class.

Should I attend the footdrill class if I feel unwell?

No, you should stay at home for rest or see a doctor to avoid accidents.

What should I do if I cannot attend training classes owing to the need of attending to some urgent affairs?

Members are required to have an attendance rate not lower than 80%. In this regard, they should carefully plan their time so that they can attend training classes.

Why should new recruits have to wear specific dress before uniforms are available?

As the AMS is a uniform organization, all new recruits have to wear uniforms. However, since it takes time to finish making the uniforms new recruits are required to wear specific dress to facilitate the enforcement of discipline. Moreover, as the instillation of esprit de corps is a main element in the recruit training, wearing tidy and standard uniform is indispensable.

6. First Aid Training Courses

How to enrol on our first aid training courses?

All government departments may nominate staff to enrol on various types of first aid training courses provided by the AMS and these courses are completely free of charge. These courses not only aim at helping the staff cope with operational needs but also enhance the quality of services offered by relevant departments.

Can members of the public enrol on our first aid training courses?

Our first aid training courses are organized for civil servants and such courses are designed to meet their operational needs. When training places are available, members of the public are also welcome to enrol on the courses for which a fee will be charged.

However, due to the current long waiting list and waiting time for the training places, enrolment by members of the public shall be suspended until further notice. For enquiries, please contact us at 2762 2020.

7. Addresses and Telephone Numbers of the Headquarters and Training Accommodations of the AMS

The AMS Headquarters:

Address:81, Princess Margaret Road, Homantin, Kowloon.
Phone No.:2762 2011

Hong Kong Regional Headquarters and Training Centre

Address:12/F, Eastern Law Court Building, Sai Wan Ho, Hong Kong.
Phone No.:2886 6619 (Enquiries), 2567 0705 (Duty Control Room)

Kowloon East Regional Headquarters and Training Centre

Address:Rm 1905, 19/F, Millennium City 6, 392 Kwun Tong Road, Kowloon.
Phone No.:2790 9082

Kowloon West Regional Headquarters and Training Centre

Address:Podium, Block 19, Shek Kip Mei Estate, Kowloon.
Phone No.:2777 3582

NT East Regional Headquarters

Address:70 Che Kung Miu Road, Shatin, N.T.
Phone No.:2762 2150 (Enquiries), 2762 2055(Duty Control Room)

NT West Regional Headquarters and Training Centre

Address:24/F, Tsuen Wan Government Offices Building, Sai Lau Kok Raod, Tsuen Wan, N.T.
Phone No.:2417 6400

Tsuen Wan Training Camp

Address:Shing Mun Road, Sheung Kwai Chung, Tsuen Wan, N.T.
Phone No.:2715 5850

Tsam Chuk Wan Training Centre

D.D. 256, Tsam Chuk Wan, Sai Kung
Phone No.:2792 6713

8. Purchase the Publications of Auxiliary Medical Service

You can purchase the publications of the Auxiliary Medical Service by: