- About the Cadet Corps
- Training Programme
- Social Services
- Training Hours
- Attendance Rate
- Promotion Opportunity
- Prerequisites for joining the Cadet Corps
- Download Application Form
- (The recruitment of AMS Cadet Corps has been resumed since 1 Aug 2012.)
In accordance with Section 21, Chapter 517 of the Hong Kong Ordinance, which was revised in 1999, the Chief Executive may raise and maintain a cadet corps to be known as the Auxiliary Medical Service (AMS) Cadet Corps, which shall consist of persons at the age of 12 or over but under the age of 18 who are enrolled in that Corps. The cost of raising and maintaining the Cadet Corps shall be met from moneys provided out of the general revenue. Subject to regulations, the activities, training, conditions of service and welfare of cadets shall be determined by the AMS Commissioner.
Youths are encouraged to play an active part in the Cadet Corps to acquire useful skills and develop their leadership ability through group activities and training. This provides a way for them to grow up with self-confidence, a sense of responsibility, self-discipline and devotion to serving others.
Regular training, hiking, picnicking, camping, mountaineering, swimming, boating, windsurfing etc.
Visits to various government emergency response departments, such as the Government Flying Service and the Civil Aviation Department, will be organised. Various social functions, such as annual parades and open days, will also be held regularly so that parents will know the performance and progress of their children.
The AMS will provide special skill training and medical and health knowledge for all cadets so as to help them build up a good character and become future pillars of society.
(A) Induction course: AMS orders, first aid, footdrill, discipline, basic etiquette etc.
(B) Regular training: AMS orders, skills for disaster medical assistant, footdrill, discipline, basic etiquette, civic education.
(C) Advanced training courses:
- Physical fitness training (footdrill and cycling);
- Public health / infection control;
- Health education / health promotion;
- Basic nursing care;
- Psychosocial first-aid/psychosocial health;
- Site observation at accidental and emergency rooms / hospitals / other medical units;
- Personal development programmes such as delivering public speeches and conducting talks on drug abuse and health at school;
Others: lifesaving, canoeing, orienteering, rock climbing and leadership skills.
A cadet should take part in social services such as tree planting, environmental protection functions at country parks and visit to homes for the elderly.
Any applicant who passes the interview can attend a 32-hour induction course and regular training to be held from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturdays or at other times. Both are offered free of charges. (Training will possibly be suspended during the Lunar New Year period. Further notification will be given in due course.)
The annual attendance rate of a cadet should reach 96 hours or 60% of the total training hours of the unit to which the cadet is posted so that the requirement for efficiency can be fulfilled.
A cadet is not entitled to any allowances. However, a ration will be paid for attending training for 8 continuous hours or more and it will be paid in half for attending training for 4 continuous hours.
A number of training courses will be conducted in the form of self enhancement without ration to be offered.
A cadet with excellent performance will be promoted to Senior Cadet, Deputy Cadet Leader and Senior Cadet Leader.
- At the age of 12 but under the age of 16;
- Holder of an identity card of the HKSARG;
- Able to speak Cantonese fluently and read Chinese;
- A written consent from the parent or guardian;
- Submit a completed application form for screening by the AMS.
Anyone who wishes to join the Cadet Corps should complete an application form and return it to Auxiliary Medical Service Headquarters, 81 Princess Margaret Road, Ho Man Tin, Kowloon. Upon receipt of the application form, the AMS will inform the applicant in writing of the arrangements for the following:
(2) Medical Examination (to be conducted during office hours)
It is not required to pay any fees to join the Cadet Corps. The AMS will provide free uniforms and equipment for all cadets.Remarks
- A cadet can apply for adult membership at the age of 16.
- The cadet membership will be ceased at the age of 18.
Click to download Acrobat Reader Logo to open the application form